Are you struggling with marketing and publicity? Randy Valentine from Align Global Marketing can help you get over those hurdles. In this episode, he shares some of his secrets for getting media attention and using that attention to drive customers to your business.
Here’s the basic media outreach task list
- Research and find hosts and producers who’ve talked about or interviewed other people in your line of work.
- Draft a pitch email referencing some of their other work, and explaining why they should be interested in talking to you.
- Send the email to each of your contacts, making sure to customize the message so it’s specific to each contact.
- Follow up the next day with a phone call, referencing the email you sent and asking them if they have any questions or would like to book an interview.
- Continue to follow up every week or so until you either reach them or they tell you to stop calling.
Here’s the media pitch email format I’m using to do this right now
Hi <name of media contact>,
I’m JP, a web entrepreneur and author. I just [listened to/watched/read your interview/article with/about <name the guest/topic>] and loved <say what you loved about the interview>. <Find common ground here- add a sentence about what connects you to the host>
It seems like you interview <describe the type of guest they interview>, so I wanted to reach out and connect because I would love to [come on the show to talk about/be interviewed about] my book, “The Web Startup Roadmap: Navigate Your Way to a Successful Online Business.”
Most web entrepreneurs don’t fully understand the process of starting an online business that can generate a profit and eventually be sold for a profit. I truly believe your audience will get a lot of great content from hearing about my experiences starting and selling a successful online business.
If you’d like a copy of my book, please provide a mailing address and I’ll get your signed copy in the mail asap.
I’m really looking forward to connecting with you!
Thanks! Your time is really appreciated!
America’s #1 New Business Energizer
Feel free to use and modify this as needed, but please remember to change the details that are specific to me. That wouldn’t look good if you sent my info for your publicity requests.
Items Mentioned in this Episode
- Align Global Marketing
- Twenty 1 Five
- Janak Jewelry
- Red Fox Wireless
- Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…And Others Don’t by Jim Collins
- The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change by Stephen R. Covey
- Hiding from Love by John Townsend