March 13, 2015
Did you know that the best leaders and coaches speak only 10% of the time? That means they listen the other 90%!
I spent this morning at a leadership conference at the Denver Performing Arts Center. They have 7 of these a year so if you’d like to go with me to the next one, let me know. It was highly worth my time.
This 90/10 statistic really resonated with me because I have a tendency to climb up on my soapbox and tell stories instead of listen. Rather than pontificate, effective leaders ask probing questions and then listen to the responses.
The speaker said that we as leaders don’t need to know the answer, and even if we do know it, we shouldn’t share it. She said the answer lies within the people we lead already, and it’s our responsibility to ask the right questions so the answer becomes obvious.
Sharing the answer isn’t nearly as powerful as guiding people to it because they miss the journey and that’s where learning, understanding and appreciation occur.
So next time one of your employees or coaching clients comes to you with a problem, ask them a series of questions to help guide them to the answer instead of climbing up on your soapbox and giving it to them.
If you want to go to the next event with me on 4/22, respond to this email and I’ll try to grab you a free ticket.